Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped (I typically add additional celery)
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground chuck beef (I substitute half of the ground beef for ground pork)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chiffonade
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- In a 6 quart pot, add extra-virgin olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes.
- Raise heat to high and add the ground beef. Saute, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps, and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, and basil and cook over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1/2 hour. Finish bolognese with Pecorino Romano.
- Check for seasoning.
- Serve hot.