Gypsy Soup from the Moosewood Cookbook
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of olive oil\
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 cups chopped, peeled sweet potatoes or winter squash 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes 3⁄4 cup chopped sweet peppers 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 cups stock or water
- 2 teaspoons paprika 1 teaspoon turmeric 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt Dash of cinnamon Dash of cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tamari (soy sauce)
- In a soup kettle or large saucepan sauté onions, garlic, celery and sweet potatoes in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add seasonings, except tamari, and the stock or water. Simmer, covered, fifteen minutes. Add remaining vegetables and chickpeas. Simmer another 10 minutes for so – until all the vegetables are as tender as you like them.
- Note: The vegetables used in this soup are flexible. Any orange vegetable can be combined with green.... For example, peas or green beans could replace the peppers. Carrots can be used instead of, or in addition to the squash or sweet potatoes.