Post ID: 841
I hope you all are having a very Happy Holiday Season so far! My general rule is to care about what I eat from New Year’s to Christmas, so I do not need to think about it from Christmas to New Year’s! With that said, it looks like I have another week of holiday eating to go before getting back to my regular healthy habits. As we enjoy the last week of holiday eating and start to think about getting back on track for the New Year, I thought I would leave you with my thoughts for the 6 Best Things You Can Do For Your Health in 2016.
6. Learn how to properly breathe and do it often. Learning how to drive your breath below your diaphragm and into your lower belly like filling up a balloon that runs a full 360 degrees all the way around your midsection (remember, BELOW your diaphragm) can help reduce anxiety, relax muscles, better oxygenate your cells, lower blood pressure, and strengthen your lungs and heart.
5. Once you feel like you have mastered the art of proper deep breathing, then try meditating (just focusing on breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth) for 3-5 minutes each morning after you wake up. This is a great opportunity to reflect on your gratitudes and channel what things you want to accomplish each day. Headspace is a fantastic app for training your mind. Oprah and Deepak Chopra also have a great 21 day free meditation program.
4. Move often throughout the day. Don’t be fooled by thinking that your 45 minute run or HIIT class is all you need to stay healthy. Research has shown that moving your body regularly throughout the day is more beneficial to your health than one 30-45 minute high intensity workout that is followed by 8 hours at your computer or desk. So move throughout the day. 5-10 minutes every hour or two will help keep your brain stimulated and your tissues hydrated and most likely improve your productivity so any time lost will certainly be gained.
3. Start your day off with 1 glass of lemon or just plain water. Hydration is essential to the health of every cell in our body, so do yourself a favor and hydrate those cells first thing in the morning before drinking your tea or coffee.
2. Make sure your regular exercise routine includes resistance training. It can be bodyweight, bands, dumbbells, kettlebells, medicine balls, etc., just make sure you are feeling the resistance! If you want improved muscle strength and tone and you want to protect your joints from injury, I highly recommend adding a well designed resistance training program that works with your goals to your regular fitness routine. (I also suggest getting a highly trained professional to help you design a program for yourself.)
1. Set aside some time this week or next to clean out your mental house. Really pay attention to the messages you are giving yourself. Are they messages you would say to your loved ones? If not, it is time to retrain your brain! As Dr. Seuss says above, “YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go”. Sometimes it is really difficult to accept that we are the ones sabotaging our own goals and dreams through the messages we have programmed in our brains. You can rewire those messages and literally change your DNA. It just takes some self awareness and a willingness to embrace yourself as worthy of change. If you are self medicating with food (typically sugar and carbs) or alcohol, it is helpful to give up the vices while engaging in this exercise.
Margaret Romero and I are joining forces again starting January 4th and leading a group in the Whole30 elimination program. We would love to have you join us if you are up for the challenge. If you have thought about doing the Whole30 but feel like you do not have enough support, this is a great time to do it. We have a group Facebook page where many people provide fantastic recipes and offer support to get you through the transition. Several people also engage in a modified version of the program which is fine. Whether you want to join us for the full elimination or partial, please let me know if you are getting onboard with us!
If you want a more personalized program, I offer a 12 week Lifestyle Coaching package. You can read more about it at https://stellafit.com/classes-and-personal-training-rates/
All group classes will resume on January 4th.
So cheers to your healthiest year yet!